Saturday, July 21, 2007

Recreating a Social Life

It's Saturday night, and Maya and I are discussing our possibilities.

Now, if we were living in the city centre, as opposed to the northern residential region inhabited by my parents, this might not be such a fascinating conversation. If we had not been spoiled in Tel Aviv by living right in the heart of the city (not even bearing in mind that we rarely went out anyway), we may not have noticed our social isolation here.

But here we are and it's almost 10:30 (pm). Earlier in the day, we spoke to a friend about going out for drinks with a bunch of the old crew, and who knows who else. At the time - 6 hours ago - it seemed plausible and desirable. We spent the afternoon walking around Cabbagetown. All these years here, and I never went. Well, it's very nice. But we should get back to the matter at hand. Socializing.

We had these vaguely outlined plans set up and we wouldn't have to call anyone or think about the logistics - outside of how we would get there, that is. But we aren't so keen on it now. Go figure.

Neither of us is a big drinker, although I do enjoy the odd one. We are not even sure anymore who will be going and whether or not we want to deal with the scene. The thought of it can be quite intimidating. Are we dressed like we should be? Are our jokes really funny? Are we where we should be? If not, are our excuses good enough? Do I really care about the answers to those questions anyway?

Not really. The real question I end up with is this: Will I really enjoy myself by going out to a bar/pub?

I have my doubts. I think we'll just go for a walk around the neighbourhood before going to bed.

I'll let you know how it went tomorrow.

1 comment:

shira said...

a point to consider: ALL of your feirnds (and even non-friends and srtangers) there speak the same language as you do. PLUS, Maya and you got a secret ancient semitic language to use in time of need that no one around you can understand. doesn't that make things a lot easier for you? i mean, even if you get bored by the crowed you still don't have to make an effort to understand them. don't you?