Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A Short Absence

The suspense must have been awful.
I do apologize. I feel really terrible about not keeping you updated.
I believe my last post was concerned with a recent job opportunity. If I am not mistaken, I had misgivings about the position but was willing to shadow one of their guys around to be sure.
Well, it was as I suspected. A door to door pyramidal sales company. Been there, done that. When I was 18. Not going to do that again. I followed my "guy" around for near 30 minutes and then we broke for lunch, to talk about their advancement plan. I ate my sub and listened to the shpiel. Shook hands and walked away. The guy was nice enough to drive me to a convenient location.

Today was a new day, a brighter day. A hot day, too.
Bright and early and had another interview (I'm already getting decent mileage out of the new professional wardrobe Maya helped me buy). This one was more appealing. Essentially, the position is that of a call centre manager. The meeting went well, and I feel that the position can be mine if I want it.

Do I want it?
Pros - I get to build a team of my own. The hours are manageable. The company seems to be growing. Hebrew is an asset. I would be able to quit looking for work.
Cons - Salary (low, with performance incentives that can raise it to adequate). The actual work may not be that interesting/challenging/stimulating. Evening hours.

When I put it like that.....

I don't really know. I promised him an answer within two days and have since sent him a thank you note. The clock is ticking.

Let's move on to a more interesting topic, shall we...
Last Sunday (2 days ago), Maya and I were legally married. Our officiant arrived late.
I called him 5 minutes after he was to have arrived and asked where he was. He asked me when we booked him for. I said "5 minutes ago." Thankfully, he lived close by and promised to be there in 10 minutes or so. Half an hour later, he finally arrived, with his wife in tow. He was rather old and very excuberant.
Throughout the ceremony, he would remind us at least once every 5 minutes that he was also a rabbi.
"I'm a modern Rabbi. I love everyone." He would claim. His motto: "Love your neighbour."
I wasn't planning on having the civil service to be an overly meaningful ocassion, or especially memorable, but the good doctor Zimmerman has guaranteed that I will not forget July 29, 2007 anytime soon.

And now for the polls: What should I do?
Let me know what you think.
Polls close in 24 hours.
Until then, I remain:
Ryan

1 comment:

urig said...

Heh Heh. Kinda a late but: Don't take the pyramid scam job! It's way beneath your skills.

And congratz on getting married! Mazal Tov!