Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Welcome to my First Blog

Back from the Land of Hopes to the True North Country

After close to three years living in Tel Aviv, working in IT, I come back to the wide expanses of Ontario soil that nourished me in my youth.
I have brought with me several things that I did not have when I left and I lack certain things that I had before.
On the plus side, I bring my fiancee, Maya. If I brought nothing else, if I gained nothing else in the last 30 months, that would be enough. But of course, I have more. I have my experience working for a growing website. I watched membership more than quintuple in size and got to feel like I was a key part of that growth. I gained many friends and formed relationships that I hope to maintain.
The red shows that I have no job. There are probably a few more entries in this side of the ledger, but I can't see them from the magnitude of the first entry. It's like a bullet hole. The ink from that entry bleeds fresh daily covering all other notes. I can almost make out that Maya and I are back in my parents' basement, counting days until a job is found allowing us passage into the light of independance.
Now that I have your attention, let's discuss the job front. I have not been inactive. I scour the new listings in all the leading job search sites. I have signed up for assistance from the JVS (I've already had my first session with their career assessment guide - did you know the leading job search sites only have a 6% success rate), I have spoken to headhunters, tried to establish connections in interesting fields.
So far nothing.
It can be quite frustrating. A person is used to working every day, waking up by a certain time, taking a certain bus, greeting the coworkers, thinking in a steadily productive atmosphere. Then there is nothing. That person becomes a spinning top, trying to find a groove to spin in but lacking any real control over its axis.
What kind of work am I looking for? you may be asking yourself.
Well, I try to be open-minded about it considering the many hats I wore in my last position. Ultimately, though, I am trying to focus on the most interesting of those hats and am searching for positions in the communications/PR field. Know anything?

4 comments:

shira said...

At last! A long kind'a-letter from you with lots of English phrases I didn't even know there were!
It's SOOO good to hear (read) from you and I'm sure that in no time you'll be very busy working and bitching about your job and coworkers and such. Just like we used to bitch when we were in the army and later we bitched about not being there. Like things are in real life.
Anyway, I think that you are very brave to start over once again and I'm even happier that Maya is there to watch you.
:)
B-E-H-A-TS-L-A-CH-A!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck man!!!!!!! come visit israel soon!!

urig said...

Hi Ryan!

Congrats on your first blog. As soon as Leah told me about it, I added you to my Google Reader :)

I hope you find a job soon - I can see how much it means to you.

Catch ya later,
Uri

http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/urig/

arutha said...

Well done Ryan.. :)
I'll be checking it out, too!

A.